Meet the lovely Jack Russel Ebony…

Meet the lovely Jack Russel Ebony…

Whilst Ebony loves the taste of chocolate, it does make her very ill, even if it's just a little bit! I mean, is there anything better than snapping off a chunk of your favorite chocolate and enjoying the melt in the mouth smoothness of chocolate, we don’t blame you, Ebony!

However, did you know that chocolate poisoning is up there with one of the most common causes of poisoning in dogs, and can lead to illness and even death? If you that your dog may have eaten some chocolate, we would advise that you contact your dogs’ vets immediately!

Although there are little cases where eating chocolate is fatal, it can result in expensive and serious illnesses!

So, why is chocolate toxic for dogs?

There is a chemical called theobromine inside the chocolate, in addition to caffeine! Theobromine is the predominant toxin in chocolate and is very similar to caffeine. You can also find both of these chemicals in heart stimulant; muscle relaxant and it is used as a diuretic in medicine!

It’s not just dogs, but cats as well find it hard to metabolize theobromine and caffeine as well as humans. This makes them more sensitive to the chemicals’ effects.

Due to some dogs being a bit greedy by nature, it means that they are more likely to scoff it all up so you have to make sure to keep it out of reach of the dogs! If your sneaky dog does manage to get a hold of your precious chocolate, do make sure that you ring the vets.

They want to know some information, so make sure you try and grasp the amount that they have eaten and what type of chocolate was it that they ate. You can only start treatment on your dog after a certain amount of time has past and that depends on how much they have eaten! Your dog might be given some medicine to make it throw up and given some activated charcoal in order to stop any further absorption!

If It is extremely serious then your dog may have to have fluid therapy and further medications to tackle the toxic effect on the heart!

So, keep that choccy out of paws way!

As seen in...